PETER F. HEERING’S COLLECTION
Peter F. Heering’s collection contains glass from the 19th century from the early Danish glassworks, such as Conradsminde, Aalborg, Funen and Holmegaard. The collection has been loaned to Hempel Glass Museum and is permanently exhibited.
A proper Danish glass production from more recent times took place from 1825 at Holmegaard by Næstved and a few years later at glassworks in Northern Jutland, first in Rold forest (Conradsminde and Mylenberg) and later in Aalborg.
Conradsminde Glassworks 1834-1857 were established under the estate Nørlund in Rold Forest. The more specialized skilled workers in the glass production were brought in especially from Germany and from 1840 the production of drinking glasses in the so-called white glass (clear glass) could begin.
Mylenberg Glassworks 1852-1864 were established at Gaudrupgaard just south of Rold Forest. They took over the glass makers as well as the assortment of articles from Conradsminde Glassworks when they had to close down in 1857.
Aalborg Glassworks 1851-1922 were established as a subdivision of Conradsminde Glassworks, mainly directed at the production of bottles, because the location of the glassworks by the harbour gave better opportunities to receive the raw material and to dispatch the finished products.
When the furnaces were turned off in Conradsminde in 1857, Mylenberg and Aalborg were under the same management for some years until Mylenberg’s furnaces were turned off in 1864 and the entire propduction was concentrated in Aalborg. Here they started a production in 1866 of drinking glasses in white glass by the help of the glass makers from Mylenberg.
As it appears from this chronology, it is very difficult to distinguish glasses produced in Mylenberg from those produced in Conradsminde; therefore the certain glasses from these two glassworks are displayed together (the closest wall case and the floor showcase). The glasses from Aalborg Glassworks (the two following wall cases) are also to a certain extent characterized by the old, well-known shapes from Conradsminde and Mylenberg but in a more modern production.
In 1908 Aalborg Glassworks were taken over by Kastrup Glassworks and in 1910, the production of drinking glasses stopped, while a certain production of bottles continued until 1922.